Dobkin's Place

Monday, September 04, 2006

Administrate your windows server 2003

At my work I and my team run our web applications in windows 2000, most usable tools for use are: IIS 5.0 and Com+, but we also using performance monitoring and more.
My team leader gave me an assignment to check windows server 2003 for new features and of course verify that all the old functionality remain.

After reading some articles about the matter, and learning about new features of IIS 6.0 and Com+ 1.5, I have realized that Microsoft spent most of their effort in securely and performances. The general idea of the tools is isolate current application from the rest application that running – so if it goes down its wont take any other application with it. For the security matter the idea is run the application with least privileged user, by default.

There is much more to tell about the new features within windows server 2003, and as far as I know the entire previous feature remain.
If you want know more, then there is a book that I really recommending for programing windows server 2003. The book is not all about windows server 2003 and its tools, still there are couples of chapters about IIS6.0 and Com+, which describes all the features of those tools and how to use them, step by step.
There are more chapters about managing those tools via .Net application, which can be helpful for some of use.



Another excellent book about IIS and it's menagment is Microsoft IIS 6 Delta Guide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home